Sunday 22 November 2009

The recipes

I guess whats the point of having a food blogg if you don't share your recipe's? I would like to start with the recipe for what I call "The best chocolate cake in the world". As a matter of fact it is a versión of the 70's classic Gateau Diane, which you can find in a Cordon
Bleu recipe book from 1973.

I found the inspiration in a cake I tasted in Lisbon called "El meior bolo de chocolate du mondo". I like a challenge so I decided to contest the portuguese version for the world leadership in chocolate cakes.

So as I was begining with my meringue baking and selling adventure, I decided this should be one of the cakes to offer. And I must say it is working very well, even though I say so myself as M.Tabb says.

Th recipe


Chocolate Meringue base

6 eggs whites
300 gr. of sugar
50 gr. of cocoa powder


Chocolate cover

6 egg yolks
150 gr. of butter
200 gr. of milk
100 gr. of sugar
300 gr. of best quality 70% dark chocolate

Method


For the meringue base
Preheat oven to 100 Centrigrade
Beat the egg whites until soft white peaks begin to form
Add the sugar and cocoa little by little, beating up after every addition.
Draw 3 23 cm diameter circles on baking parchment and with a piping bag make three "meringue" circles
Put them into the oven and bake for two hours


For the chocolate cover
Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and milk, pour into a heavy based pan and bring to a simmer, ad the butter cut into pieces stirring continously, when you have a smooth custard turn of the heat. Brake the chocolate into small pieces and drop into the hot custard. Leave it for 5 minutes before stirring vigorously. You should have by now a shiny chocolate sauce. Let it cool.

To assemble the cake sandwich the 3 meringue circles with the chocolate filling, covering the top of the last circle aswell. If you wish you can also cover the sides. You can decorate it with little merigues.


I hope you like it as much as me and my friends do.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing, but I´d have to be reincarnated several times before I can make a meringue like that...
    me encanta el blog. gracias por el link, en cuanto encuentre un minuto haré un post merengue.

    ReplyDelete